Competition and Distribution
Alliance Law Firm’s antitrust & competition expertise encompasses risk assessment, drafting codes of business conduct, setting compliance programs, mock dawn-raids, investigations, litigation, settlements, leniency programs & merger notifications.
Competition and Distribution
Across the past few years, Competition Law and policy have been increasingly enforced by Egypt’s regulators, leading to a rise in complexity at the national level. In 2022, a new pre-merger control regime was introduced, further shaping the legal landscape. The team at Alliance Law Firm – Egypt (ALF) is well-equipped to represent national and multinational clients in a wide range of competition law matters, including complex local and cross-border mergers and acquisitions clearance, competition investigations, legal opinions, competition litigation, and competition compliance programs.
ALF’s expertise also extends to distribution matters, recognizing the importance of effective distribution strategies for businesses to succeed in their target markets. The team offers advice on distribution agreements, establishing distribution networks, franchise agreements, pricing policies, and ensuring compliance with competition law rules and regulations.
ALF’s Competition and Distribution team comprises highly regarded lawyers, including former officials from the Egyptian competition authority, who bring a wealth of experience and a strong understanding of the ECA process, with frequent dealings with ECA, courts, and policymakers.
You Can Contact Us For
Our team advises the firms’ clients regarding tools for monitoring, detecting, and enforcing competition and compliance policies, in order to avoid any violation of the law. This includes conducting competition law compliance audits and internal investigation to detect any practices or policies which are not in compliance with the law.
Mergers Control Filings
Our team has comprehensive experience in merger clearance such as early analysis of potential competition issues and engagement with regulators to obtain the required approvals efficiently and smoothly for complex national or cross-borders transactions.
Our team has comprehensive experience representing clients before the ECA in regard to investigations on cartels, abuse of dominance, vertical restraints, as well as settlement and leniency programs.
We have a proven track of successfully representing our clients in connection with many competition investigations before the ECA, whether by closing the investigation without filing any charges against our clients or by negotiating settlements with the ECA.
Our rapid response expertise in handling dawn raids by the ECA helps clients avoid critical pitfalls and mount an effective defense against such actions.
Competition Litigation and Private Enforcement
Our team combines technical expertise with strategic advice to pursue or defend competition-related claims on behalf of our clients before Egyptian national courts, as well as advising our clients on complex procedural and substantive issues arising in the context of criminal and civil investigations and dawn raids conducted by the ECA.
Our team provides competition law training and compliance programs to clients’ employees, with the aim of ensuring that their policies and business plans comply with competition law rules. Our services also assist clients in achieving their business goals while reducing the risk of breaching competition law. We have conducted training programs on competition law rules and policies for clients across a wide range of industry sectors, including food and agriculture, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, and automotive.
State Measures & Government Regulation
Our team assists the firm’s clients with matters related to state measures and government regulations, whether it be before the ECA or other entities such as ministries and government organizations.
Distribution Terms and Conditions
Our team has the technical expertise to advise our clients regarding their distribution agreements, franchise agreements, other commercial arrangements, policy, and commercial and sales strategies.
Our team helps its clients to build or expand their distribution network, determining the necessary criteria for choosing potential contractors, and establishing criteria/conditions for terminating commercial relationships. Additionally, our team has the expertise in assisting our client during their pre-contractual phase with third parties.
- Successfully executed the first leniency case before the ECA, ensuring the full protection for our client in the pharmaceutical sector and reducing the potential fine from EGP 5 billion.
- Represented Aeolus Tyres before ECA and COMESA to obtain clearance for the global structuring of
- Acted as legal counsel of the Egyptian Cement Association to handle all the legal areas facing the cement industry in Egypt and specifically full compliance with competition law.
- Acted as legal counsel for the Egyptian Cement Association before the ECA for to obtain an exemption from the horizontal agreement “Cartels” ban regarding the reduction of cement companies’ production capacity.
- Provided competition compliance programs for local and multinationals such as Vodafone, Philip Morris, Lesaffre Egypt, and Titan Egypt to ensure full compliance with competition law.
- Assisted our clients such as Intercement, Pirelli, Philip Morris, Ezz Elarab, Vodafone, and Lesaffre Egypt in setting their commercial/sales policies and guidelines to ensure compliance with the competition law rules and policy.
- Assisted in and prepared a legal memo for AlSafwa Cement, one of the largest Saudi Cement companies, regarding a matter before the General Authority for Competition in Saudi Arabia(KSA).