Ahmed Hafez heads the M&A and Projects Department. He is a highly qualified civil and common law lawyer with over 10 years of experience in banking, corporate and commercial law. Having practiced in the Middle East, Africa and Europe, he brings significant knowledge and skill from his years of practice as in-house counsel at the Commercial International Bank (CIB), one of the largest Egyptian financial institutions, as well as a leading multinational corporation in Cairo and Paris, and as attorney at law at Baker & McKenzie (Cairo office). Mr. Hafez’s understanding of international banking transactions, complemented by a strong academic foundation, allows him to provide excellent, high quality and innovative advice in his areas of expertise, which encompasses the following: M&A related finance, asset finance, real estate finance, debt capital market transactions, syndicated loans, mezzanine lending, debt restructuring and refinancing.
Following is a sample of the key transactions in which Mr. Hafez was involved:
- Implementing the corporate restructuring project of a multi-national corporation including advising on the restructuring of the inter-company loans up to the holding level, the liquidation of existing companies and a capital increase of EGP 16 billion by converting the companies “debts to equity”; acting as legal advisor for a USD 750 million facility agreement for a multi-national corporation; Leading the acquisition of an operational entity in Iraq valued at USD 300 million. Leading the project finance team for two Greenfield projects and the related financings in the Middle East region for a multi-national cement company.
- Leading the acquisition of Blackstone Group on Hilton in Egypt, the work included the post acquisition integration; a handling company in Sokhna Port; leading a project financing and an acquisition of a textile business factory to an American mega corporation; team member in charge of IPO of TMG Holding and Palm Hills; advising and representing British Gas and the consortium of shareholders in the Behera Natural Gas liquefaction; involved in the ELNG project finance on part of the creditors; team member in charge of the tender of WEPCO petroleum company, a USD 1.4 billion deal.
- Involved in the negotiation, drafting and closing of a syndicated revolving facility worth EGP 600 million, for the purpose of refinancing an existing revolving facility, capital expenditures and working capital requirements; syndicated medium term facility agreement worth EGP 2.0 billion for financing a part of the outstanding facilities and financing the capital expenditures and the operating expenses; term loan & revolving credit facility agreement worth approximately USD 720 million for repayment of overdraft facilities, intercompany loan of the borrower and extinguishing certain debt held by the borrower; syndicated medium term facility agreement in two tranches for the amount of EGP 1.5 billion and a bridge loan agreement.
- LL.M (with Honors), University of Toronto, 2013.
- Maitrise en Droit, Paris I University – Panthéon Sorbonne, 2002.
- LLB, Faculty of Law, Cairo University, 2001.
Mr. Hafez is fluent in Arabic, English and French.