Dr. Ashraf Abou Elkheir heads the Corporate Structuring & Competition department. He has over 15 years of hands-on experience in the areas of corporate, securities, complex M&As, joint ventures and competition law. In addition to the Egyptian market, his expertise spans in different regions including the Middle East, Africa, Europe and Latin America. He held the post of Senior Vice President & Regional General Counsel of Lafarge SA. He was highly involved in management, business strategy and business development and was a member of the executive committee at Lafarge Middle East and Africa. He was the Chairman of an Egyptian company with a capital of EGP 16 billion and was a member of the board of directors of many companies established in different jurisdictions. Dr. Abou Elkheir previously practiced in a reputable international law firm in France and started his career as an Assistant District Attorney at the Egyptian Public Prosecutor Office.
Dr. Abou Elkheir has a recognized track record of closing deals with a number of the major market players in Egypt and across Europe and the Middle East. He managed, supervised, negotiated, drafted, conducted, advised and structured complex transactions. Examples include the following:
- Lafarge-Orascom Cement EGP 71 billion acquisition in the stock market (biggest transaction in Egypt’s history).
- JVs, SPAs and SHAs in Egypt and many countries in Europe & the Middle East.
- Privatizations of cement companies in Egypt and the Middle East.
- Restructuring of different groups of companies including listed and holding companies (e.g. mergers, spin-offs, capital increases and decreases) for tax optimization, structure simplification, cash stream efficiency (e.g. EGP 15 billion restructuring).
- Capital market topics, tender offers, IPOs, minorities’ rights in Egypt and other countries.
- Settlement agreements with different parties (e.g. EGP 4 billion with the Tax Authority).
- Material contracts: lease and greenfield projects, energy contracts, technical assistance and management, gas supply and EGP 3 billion transponders lease.
- Elaboration and implementation of corporate governance rules .
- Headed competition law teams involved in various compliance programs, notifications, investigations, leniency programs and litigation mainly in Europe, in addition to the Middle East and Latin America.
- PhD in Business Law (with honors), Faculty of Law and Economic Sciences, University of Montpellier I, France, 2003. Dr. Abou Elkeir was granted the Didier Rocher Award of the Best PhD in Business Law in France in 2003.
- LL.M in International Business Law – Institute of International Business Law (IDAI), Cairo – Paris I University Panthéon Sorbonne, 1998.
- Diploma in Judicial Studies- the Egyptian Centre of Judicial Studies, Ministry of Justice – Egypt, 1997.
- LL.B, Faculty of Law, Alexandria University, 1996.
Dr. Abou Elkheir is fluent in Arabic, English and French .